Tuesday 27 August 2013

Get on the bus

It's funny, looking back at my life, things I used to do now have a whole new explanation.

When I was at secondary school, I collected every single bus ticket from my journeys home. And I mean, every...single...one. For seven years.

I kept them in a little box in my wardrobe. Sometimes I would get them out and look at them, feel the way they felt, all the same size, all the right way round, all in a row. It made me feel calm and happy.

Then they changed the design of the tickets. I was devastated.

But after the initial horror, I started collecting them too. At the end, I had seven years’ worth of bus tickets in my little box. When I started packing for university I decided it was time for a declutter and started going through all my stuff. I came across my bus ticket box and looked at it for a long time. I had a long conversation with myself, the sensible side of me saying I was never going to do anything with these bus tickets, so why was I keeping them, and the Aspie side of me going, "Waaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!" and "Noooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Finally I made the difficult decision to throw them away. It was a real wrench.


Get on the Bus - the Doodlebops

No comments:

Post a Comment